The Capacity Planning Summary card gives you a quick visual indication of usage and estimates when a meter, representing physical equipment or resources, will run out of capacity. This helps ensure that you have enough to run your workloads, and alerts you to take action when needed, to prevent a shortage from becoming an outage.
You can display the full Capacity Planning page in your HPE GreenLake Central dashboard, change the past and future date ranges for forecasting, and change the account displayed, if you have access to more than one. And you have the option to open the page in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform to group, sort, and/or filter your results.
Please note the following with respect to the Capacity Planning summary card:
- Capacity planning only applies to HPE services, not to public cloud services.
- The actual usage in the capacity planning chart is based on the billed usage, not the actual physical resource usage. Actual usage may exceed the installed capacity if the physical hardware resource consumption is less than the allocation, due to hypervisor and storage optimization technologies.
- Enhancements to the data presentation for aaS capacity planning are in process. Meantime you can enter a value in Installed Capacity for VMaaS and other catalog services in the Manage Rates page, for the purpose of showing capacity planning for these services.
- Azure Stack Services are consumption-based, not allocation-based. Capacity planning is not applicable to this service.
Azure Stack Compute is similar to other HPE GreenLake core services; HPE Consumption Analytics gets both Installed Capacity and Actual Usage and supports capacity planning against this hardware.
Understanding the summary chart
Meter capacity is calculated based on actual usage against installed capacity (typically requested capacity plus a buffer of 10%). Installed capacity can vary on a day-to-day basis, as hardware is brought in and out of service for maintenance purposes.
The card chart display varies depending on whether the selected tenant has one account with meters that support capacity planning, or more than one account with meters that support capacity planning.
The table has a row for each billing account, and a column for each status. The numbers in a row indicate the number of services in each status:
- Critical (red) means available meter capacity is running out
- Low (yellow) means meter usage is below its committed capacity
- Forgotten (gray) means usage is a very low percentage of installed capacity
- Optimal (green) means the meter is using the installed capacity at an optimal rate.
Meters for which usage is decreasing are hidden.
For more about meters, see Using HPE Consumption Analytics with HPE GreenLake Flex Capacity in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform online documentation.
You can navigate to the full report in your dashboard by clicking the Detail View link in the bottom right hand corner of the card, or by clicking any row.
Viewing the report
The full page view shows more detail, on a per meter basis, for the selected account. You can expand the detail by clicking each meter name to view the actual usage and anticipated charges for the meter, and compare that to the corresponding requested, installed, and committed capacities.
The units on the y axis of the chart are based on the configuration in the billing account. The height of the bands is also determined by configuration, since the committed and requested capacities are input values, and the installed capacity is calculated based on the requested capacity..
Actual usage is shown as a solid line. When you hover the mouse pointer over a past date on the graph, a tooltip shows you installed capacity, actual usage, requested capacity, and committed capacity for that date:
Forecast usage is shown as a dotted line. When you hover the mouse pointer over a future date on the graph, a tooltip shows you the installed capacity, forecasted usage, requested capacity, and committed capacity for that date:
For each meter, the table shows rows for usage, installed capacity, requested capacity, and committed capacity, and columns for each month (future months' usage values are forecast, as shown in the column headings). Increases or decreases from the previous month are shown in green or red, respectively.
Accessing the Capacity Planning page in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform
If you need to use the full functionality to group, sort, or filter your results, you can use the launch icon in the upper right hand corner of the card to open the Capacity Planning page in your HPE GreenLake Customer View screen in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform.
- You will be logged into the HPE Consumption Analytics platform via Single Sign-on (SSO).
- If you've visited this page in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform before, the page will display based on your previous selections, groups, and/or filters; else the first billing account in the list will be shown, with the Manage Groups filter set to Meter Name.
- For help with the Capacity Planning page in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform, see Capacity Planning in the HPE Consumption Analytics platform online documentation..