You can use the Budgets feature in HPE Consumption Analytics to establish budgets and track your usage and cost against them, during the current period and historically. You can share a budget with other users to increase accountability in your organization. You can also set up alerts to be triggered when usage and spend exceed your defined budget.
Creating a budget
If you have the required permissions, you can create a new budget.
To create a budget
- Click Budgets in your HPE Consumption Analytics Dashboard page.
- On the Budgets (list view) page, click the Create Budget button.
The Create Budget overlay displays.
- Enter the Name for your budget.
- Select from the Visible to Others drop-down:
- Private (default) - only the owner can view the budget
- Public - All tenant users with access to HPE Consumption Analytics can view and edit any public budget.
- If you want to share the budget with all other tenant users who have access to HPE Consumption Analytics, you can set the visibility of a private budget to public.
- If you later want to change a public budget back to private, bear in mind that other tenant users who may have used the budget when it was public will lose access to it.
- Select the Time interval - Monthly (default), Quarterly, or Yearly.
- Set the Start date for your budget.
Once you've saved your budget, you won't be able to edit the start date, so double-check it at this point.
- Set the End date for your budget.
- Choose whether to Budget on cost or usage.
- Choose the Target for your budget:
- Single: A single target is all you need to create a budget for your own department. In this case, the Budget Targets table displays a single row containing the target value.
- Target field from the drop-down.
- Click Create to save your changes.
The Edit Budget window displays:
- Click Show ongoing usage if you want to show actual usage for all budget periods in the budget table.
The Edit budget window updates to display Budgeted, Actual usage, and Difference columns for each budget period:
To enter budget values
- In the budget table, click into the Budgeted column in the desired period in the row corresponding to the desired target field value
- Enter a budget amount per period and per field value.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until your budget is complete.
- Click Save.
Editing an existing budget
If you have the required permissions, you can edit certain settings in an existing budget.
To edit an existing budget
- In the Actions menu (either in the desired row of the budget list view, or in the budget detail view), click Edit.
- Edit your budget fields and settings as needed:
- Edit the budget Name
- Toggle Visible to Others (Public/Private)
- Change the End Date by typing the desired date or selecting it from the date picker
You cannot edit the start date.
- Toggle Show ongoing usage (on/off)
- Set or clear filters:
- Click the Filter button below the budget Name.
- The Filter sidebar displays:
- To clear existing filters, click Clear Filters. To edit filters, continue with the next step.
- Click + New Filter.
- Select the field to filter on from the drop-down list (to limit the options, you can type a value in the search field, or expand/collapse field categories)
- Select the Operator from the drop-down list
- Click the selection box(es) next to the desired field value(s) (to limit a large list, you can type a value in the Search field)
- To add more filters, click the + Add Filter button and continue from step d; else skip to step i
- When finished adding filters, click Apply Filter.
- When finished editing filters, click Close.
- Edit budget values (amounts) per period and per field value, as described above.
- When finished editing, click Save.
Configuring budget alerts
You can optionally configure budget alerts to be sent to selected users when a budget exceeds a specified threshold.
To configure budget alerts
- In the Actions menu (either in the desired row of the budget list view, or in the budget detail view), click Configure alerts.
The Configure budget alerts overlay displays:
- Select the recipient(s) from the Email alert recipients drop-down list.
- (Optional) Check the box(es) for the desired budget Alert thresholds.
- Select the desired Alert frequency from the drop-down list.
- Click Save.
A confirmation pop-up indicates that the alert has been updated successfully.
At the configured budget threshold(s) and/or alert frequency, the selected user(s) will receive an email alert similar to this:
You can reconfigure alerts at any time, or delete them by removing all assigned user groups.
Adding a budget card to your HPE Consumption Analytics dashboard
You can add a budget card to your dashboard, so that you can view and access a particular budget from your dashboard.
You can export the budget list view to PDF and share it with others in your organization, or export a budget's table view to work with the underlying data outside of HPE GreenLake Central.
Exporting the list view to PDF
You can create a PDF export of your budget list view and share it with other people as needed.
To export the budget list view
- Click the Export PDF button.
The print overlay displays:
- Click Print to display your device's print dialog and print or save the PDF.
Exporting a budget's table view to CSV
You can export a CSV of an individual budget's table view so you can use the underlying data as needed outside of HPE GreenLake Central.
To export a budget's table view
- In the Actions menu, click Export to CSV.
Excel opens your CSV file:
- Save the CSV file and modify or use it as needed.
Deleting a budget
You can delete an individual budget from either the budget list view or the budget detail view.
To delete a budget
- In the Actions menu (either in the desired row of the budget list view, or in the budget detail view), click Delete.
The Delete budget overlay displays:
- Click Delete.
A confirmation pop-up indicates that the alert has been deleted successfully.
Managing budget assets
If you have administrative permissions in HPE Consumption Analytics, you can transfer ownership of tenant budgets as needed in Asset Management.