Currency and locale
This article explains how HPE Consumption Analytics portal supports non-US currencies and how you can configure the product to show your cost and rate values in your desired currency and format.
You can choose the currency in which to display the values in the Cost and Rate fields. The default currency for public cloud accounts is the US Dollar (USD). HPE Consumption Analytics portal will convert the Cost and Rate field values in your data from US dollars (USD) to your display currency based on the exchange rate for the relevant date, as supplied by currencylayer.
If your account uses a public cloud provider that reports cost data to you in a currency other than USD, you can specify this source currency for your data collection and HPE Consumption Analytics portal will convert from that currency to your display currency as of the charge date.
HPE GreenLake Accounts
For HPE GreenLake collections, the currency is initially set to the account’s billing currency. The conversion uses the exchange rate as of the last calendar day of the month (for the current month, it is calculated using the rate as of yesterday's date).
For public cloud collections, Azure, AWS, and Google use the exchange rate for the day of usage.
This means that HPE Consumption Analytics portal can provide a single view of all of your cloud cost even when you have providers who report in different currencies.
Here are some example scenarios :
|Display Currency||AWS Collection||Azure Collection||Google Collection||Result|
|USD||Source is USD||Source is USD||None||
No conversion required
|EUR||Source is USD||Source is USD||Source is USD||Data from all three collections converted from USD to EUR|
|EUR||Source is USD||Source is EUR||Source is GBP||
HPE Consumption Analytics portal supports all currencies supported by HPE GreenLake and Microsoft Azure, as listed at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/of.../ms-azr-0003p/.
Your selected display currency affects all currency fields, including custom fields that you create. But automatic currency conversion is only applied to the Cost and Rate fields populated from your collection or configured services, for which the source currency is known. You can use SmartTags to perform math to convert currency values in your custom fields.
For information about custom fields, see Fields and field packages.
You can select a locale for your account. Setting a locale determines the following display formatting:
- The separator characters (such as commas, periods, or spaces) to use for decimals and other numeric intervals
- The placement of currency symbols before or after the number
- The order in which year, month, and day appear, for example, MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY
- The use of 24-hour clock or 12-hour clock, for example, 27.9.2017 21:59:59 (Estonia/Estonian) or 9/27/2017, 9:59:59 PM (English/US).
Changing currency and locale settings
You set your display currency and locale in your Account Preferences. You also have the option to change them whenever you create a new data collection.
You specify the source currency for each of your data collections so that HPE Consumption Analytics portal knows whether it must convert their data to your display currency.
HPE GreenLake Accounts
For HPE GreenLake accounts, the billing currency for rate entry is selected in the service configuration process, and set to display only in your view. See your ASM if you need further information or need to change this setting.
To change currency and locale settings, you must have the Manage Account Preferences permissions capability. For more information about managing permissions, see Permissions.
To set your account preferences
- From the utility menu in the top right corner, select Account Preferences.
- In the Account Preferences dialog, select a currency from the Display Currency drop-down list. This determines the currency code and symbol used to display the Cost and Rate fields. If any data collection has a source currency that does not match, all Cost and Rate values for that collection are converted to the Display Currency.
- Select your preferred locale from the Locale drop-down list. Note the timestamp format also changes to the selected locale format, for example, 27.9.2017 21:59:59 (Estonia/Estonian).
- Click Save. A message appears confirming the updates to your Cloud Cruiser account.
The date format updates throughout the application and appears in exported reports and budget emails. If you changed the Display Currency, symbols in the Cloud Cruiser interface change immediately. It make take several minutes for the conversion of your data from the previous currency to the new currency to process. Cost and Rate values fluctuate until the conversion is complete. To view the status of processes, click the notification icon on he upper right corner of the screen. The progress bar is blue when the process is running and turns green when the process is complete.
To set the source currency for a data collection
- Edit the collection as described in Editing collections and change the Source Currency setting.